Sunday, May 1, 2011

Monkey See, Monkey Do!

What to make for an Easter morning treat? Back to baking, but not cake or cupcakes this time! Instead, I decided to make something the reminded me a lot of home, monkey bread! This was my first holiday not spent at home with my family, and although it was a fun, amazing day, I still needed a touch of something from home. My grandma used to always make monkey bread when I was younger, and then again when ever I came home on breaks from college.

Instead of looking online for a recipe, I decided to use the traditional one in my Mixer Bible recipe book. This was my first time make bread with yeast and I forgot that the whole process would take longer because yeast has to rise. I had planned to only spend 20 or so minutes on this, but the entire thing took about 2 hours. You bake and you learn! It was also my first time making bread dough!


The ingredients were simple enough!

Yeast, flour, sugar, egg, milk

My first bread dough!

The good part! Margarine, brown sugar, and cinnamon.

Monkey balls rolled in the delicious, cinnamon mix.



The finished project! Covered in crushed pecans.

NOM!!

Even thought the Monkey Bread took longer than expected, it was worth it! It was fun to make and a delicious Easter morning treat. I also discovered later that night that warm Monkey Bread is even more delicious when you put of scope of ice cream on top of it :) I will definitely be making this again, along with other breads now that I have yeast experience.
I must say, I think my grandma would be proud!

2 comments:

  1. get out! i love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna, I love your little site, here. So cute!! I will have to try your lentil veggie burgers, and the southwest ones too!

    ReplyDelete