Tuesday, June 7, 2011

There are things to make besides cupcakes...who knew?!

I have been promising myself that I would venture out of the cupcake world and make some real food. Well today I finally did. Over the summer, I am going to try and master not just baking, but cooking healthy meals. It is always better to be well rounded! After a weekend of delicious food and lots of beer drinking, I felt like I needed to focus on healthy eating this week. A trip to Trader Joe's was in order. And a successful trip it was. I decided to make a weeks worth of meals to include, kale, zucchini, sweet potatoes, and fish.

For my mixer project tonight, I decided on mashed sweet potatoes. But not just any mashed sweet potatoes. Light, flavorful, summer mashed sweet potatoes.

Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Pineapple and Banana

Easy and delicious! Now for the rest of my meal. I wanted something spicy to compliment the sweeter taste of my sweet potatoes. So I created my own chimichurri sauce to cook my fish, kale, zucchini, and onions in.


Ingredients: 1 lb sweet potatoes, 1 banana, 1/2 cup pineapples, 1/4 cup orange juice, 2 tablespoons honey, salt and pepper to taste


Peel, cut and boil the potatoes until tender.



Add all ingredients to the standing mixer.
Mash with flat beater, but don't over beat so they are a little bit chunky.

Chimichurri Sauce



Ingredients: garlic, parsley, ground pepper, red pepper flakes, olive oil, rice vinegar, water
Throw all ingredients into the food processor to blend. I didn't measure anything, but estimated how much I would need to get the flavor I wanted. The recipe I was looking at used white wine vinegar, but I used rice vinegar and it tasted great.



Pour over top of kale, onions, zucchini and fish.
Cook on low until fish is done, veggies tender.



The perfect combination of sweet and spicy.
A healthy, light, refreshing meal that I will enjoy all week!

More healthy mixer cooking to come next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment