Monday, August 22, 2011

Tex Mex Veggie Burgers

I have taken a few weeks off from cooking because of vacation, but I am back in DC and have a lot of new meal and dessert ideas for the fall! I am a huge fan of veggie burgers, and although I enjoy the convenience of the frozen, store bought kind (especially from Trader Joe's) I have been looking for something different that I could make at home. I stumbled upon a few recipes to chose from, and decided on a tex-mex style bean burger. The perfect combination of hot jalapeno peppers, filling beans and rice, and smooth avocados. It reminded me a lot of a bean burrito, just on hamburger buns!


Ingredients:
1 c. quick-cooking brown rice
2 ripe medium tomatoes, chopped
2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp. pickled jalapeno slices, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 c. corn kernels
1 clove garlic, crushed with press or finely chopped
1/2 tsp group coriander
1/4 tsp chipotle chile powder
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
Whole wheat hamburger buns
Avocado slices
Any other toppings - Spinach, jalapenos, etc.

Directions:

1. Cook rice as directed on box. Let cool.

2. Combine tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a bowl.
Set aside. This will be the salsa topping for your burger.
*I added extra jalapenos to give it an extra kick

3. In food processor, pulse rice, beans, corn, garlic, coriander, chile powder,
1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper until combined.


The patty mixture can be covered and refrigerated for up to 4 hours.
I know - it does not look appetizing now, but it will be soon!

4. Shape mixture into 3-4 patties, depending on the number of servings.
(I made 3 large patties but you can definitely make 4 out of this amount)
In skillet, heat oil for about 1 minute. Cook burgers 8-10 minutes or until browned, turning once.

5. Serve on whole wheat buns with the jalapeno tomato salsa, and other toppings of your choice. 
We used spinach, avocado, and extra jalapenos. 
(Sorry for the out of focus picture, I was in a hurry to eat!)
Instead of a typical side salad to complete this meal, I decided to make one of my favorite summer salads. A delicious watermelon and feta salad.

Mix together watermelon, feta, basil, and balsamic vinegar for a refreshing summer salad.
You can also use mint leaves instead of the basil, and ricotta instead of feta.

A healthy, filling summer dinner that can be enjoyed by vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment