Friday, March 30, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes-Take 1

My first big cupcake sale will be making 60-70 cupcakes for a bridal shower in June. I have been thinking a lot about flavors, and because it is going to be in the summer, I thought light and fruity cupcakes would be best. Before the big day, I want to make sure my recipes are absolutely perfect by the time I serve them to the guests. So, my first practice round on cupcake #1 begins. These cupcakes were inspired by the strawberry shortcake dessert. Starting with a vanilla cupcake, a strawberry filling, and then strawberry butter cream. I am still playing around with the idea of vanilla butter cream or strawberry, and experimenting with decorations/frosting colors. 

I started with a basic, but delicious vanilla cupcake, similar to this one from Martha Stewart.  
The rest of the recipe I came up with after looking at various ones on baking websites. The next step, after cupcakes are cooled, is the filling. I wanted something sweeter than plain strawberry puree, so I added sugar and boiled the 2 together. 
Approx. 1 container of strawberries, pureed and 1/4 cup sugar.
1 packet unflavored gelatin, 2 tbsp water 
Next, I used a packet of unflavored gelatin. I dissolved the gelatin in 2 tbsp of water for a few minutes before adding the strawberry and sugar mixture. Let the mixture chill in the refrigerator until set.

Once set, it is time to fill the cupcakes! Cut out the center of the cupcake, fill with the strawberry gelatin mixture, and cover back up with the cupcake. 
Time for the frosting! I made a basic butter cream:

2 sticks room temperature butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
5-6 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp milk

Beat butter until creamy, add in vanilla. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time, and milk until reach desired consistency.

At this point, I divided the frosting in half, half butter cream and the other half I turned into strawberry butter cream. I did this by using some of the left over strawberry puree/sugar mixture and more powdered sugar. 
And I wanted to practice with fondant, so I made fondant flowers!  
The vanilla butter cream, I colored purple (the shower colors are purple and green) to experiment with a colored frosting. And the strawberry butter cream came out with a very light pink tint. 
The jury is still out on the cupcakes, decorations, and frosting, but it is a start! 

Look for more strawberry shortcake cupcakes in the future, as well as some practice with Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment