Saturday, April 28, 2012

French Quarter Bananas Foster Cupcakes

Today was a just for fun cupcake baking day. I wanted to try a  different recipe for a wedding shower I am doing in June, but after that I felt the need to keep baking. I wanted something original, that I hadn't done before, but I didn't want to go back to the store. After looking around the kitchen, I saw the bananas I had recently bought and decided it was a time to try out a banana cupcake. While I was looking at recipes on Pinterest, I came across one for Bananas Foster Cupcakes. Yum! They didn't have frosting, which I liked because I felt frosting-ed out after my wedding shower practice cupcakes. And they were something I had never made before. I modified the original recipe I found here. I didn't have coconut milk, so I used buttermilk instead. I also only made 12 cupcakes and cut the recipe measurements in half.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter (room temp)                          1/4 tsp vanilla
2 eggs (room temp)                                      1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup AP flour                                                1/3 cup coconut
1 tsp baking powder                                      1/8 cup rum
3/4 cup sugar                                                  1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter. Add sugar, beating until combined.
3. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat in vanilla. Alternate flour mixture and buttermilk.
4. Fold in coconut and rum.
5. Spoon batter into lined cupcake pan and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Allow to cool completely.

Bananas Foster Topping Ingredients:
*I used the original amount for the topping and I only had a little bit left over.

1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 bananas, sliced
1/4 cup rum

1. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon. Add the bananas and toss so they are completely coated. Cook for a few minutes.
2. While bananas are cooking, heat rum in a small saucepan until it simmers.
3. Take rum off of heat and add to banana mixture.
4. Let sit for a few minutes so the brown sugar thickens a bit.
5. Spoon bananas foster topping onto cupcakes.
Yum!! These cupcakes are delicious!! It is nice to eat one without all that icing. They are different and not as heavy as a typical cupcakes. I will be making these again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment