Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th of July Weekend

The 4th of July is a holiday that doesn't involve gifts and a lot of preparation, but instead it is all about family and friends, good food, good beer, and fireworks. This might be my favorite few days of the year. I have a thing for fireworks, and really don't understand why all holidays aren't celebrated with a display of beautiful colors that everyone can enjoy. The weekend should be relaxing, simple, with thrown together cookouts, laying poolside, and enjoying the company of those around you. As much as I love to cook and bake festive food for holidays, I didn't want to spend the time baking all weekend. I decided to have a few things ready to go for a no-fuss weekend, including breakfast, cookies, and another red, white, and blue treat.

The first thing on my weekend menu is a healthy, Egg White Frittata for breakfast. I didn't follow any recipes, just threw it together with the left over veggies I had laying around.

Ingredients: 12 egg whites, 3 small sweet potatoes, 1/4 chopped yellow onion, 1/2 zucchini, and feta cheese, scallions, Italian seasoning, and black pepper.

Saute the veggies with nothing but cooking spray, pepper, and some seasoning.

Whip the 12 egg whites with a little water.

Pour eggs into veggie mixture. Add feta and extra seasoning.
Cook on stove top until outsides are completely cooked.

Broil for about 10 minutes or until golden brown and set in the middle.

A delicious, healthy breakfast!
For my cookie treats, I decided to go as healthy as cookies can get, while still being delicious. I found a recipe for Heart Smart Chocolate Cherry Cookies.  Some of the changes I made: I used 2 egg whites, instead of 1 whole egg. I divided the batter in two, and did white chocolate chips in half, dark chocolate in the other. I also used cherry flavored craisins.

Whole wheat flour, oats, and egg whites, make this recipe a healthier option.
Mix flours, oats, baking soda, and salt. 

Melt butter in saucepan. Add brown sugar, stirring until smooth.

 Pour butter and brown sugar into dry ingredient mixture.
Beat with a mixer. Add dried cherries (or craisins), vanilla, and egg whites.
Beat until combined.

Fold in chocolate, or white chocolate.

Bake at 350 for approximately 12 minutes.
Nomtastic oatmeal, cherry, chocolate cookies!

I personally liked the white chocolate ones the best. I thought the sweetness really complimented the tartness of the cherry flavored craisins.
The final treat I made was more patriotic, but very simple. Red, White, and Blue Chocolate Covered Strawberries. Yum!



Decorating assembly line.


A relaxing, fun 4th of July weekend was a success! After all of the delicious food, beer, and good times, the weekend ended with my favorite thing with my favorite person....


No comments:

Post a Comment