Friday, July 15, 2011

Peanut Butter, Chocolate, and Bacon: Something for Everyone!

What could be better then a peanut butter cookie with chocolate chips? A peanut butter cookie with chocolate chips and BACON!! Although I personally would enjoy this creation (I am a vegetarian), I know that many people would love the combination of sweet and salty goodness, the soft cookie and crisp bacon. And you can't forget the maple glaze that goes with the crispy bacon! I found this fun recipe on foodnetwork.com and just had to try it. And for the first time I did not come out of the kitchen a mess because of my new apron! Unfortunately, I can't report on the taste just yet. The cookies were sent off to my taste tester in Vermont. Fingers crossed that they are good!

You can find the recipe here for Food Networks Peanut butter chocolate chip bacon cookies. I modified a few things after reading the reviews and to make the recipe my own.


Ingredients (there is a lot!)
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • nearly 1 pound of bacon
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
*The above list is what I used in my cookies. I used a lot more bacon then the original recipe calls for, a little more chili pepper, and more chocolate chips.


Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and chili pepper in a bowl.

Cook bacon until crispy. (definitely not my favorite part)

Mix together butter and reserved bacon drippings (gross!). Beat until smooth.
  
Beat in peanut butter until combined. Beat in sugar and brown sugar until creamy. Add egg and vanilla
Add the flour mixture in 2 parts. Be sure to scrape the bowl.
If the dough is too crumbly (which mine was) add a little bit of water until desired consistency.

Fold in 1/3 to 1/2 of the crumbled bacon and chocolate chips to the dough.
 
Form dough into balls and flatten out on cookie sheet. Sprinkle extra bacon on the top.

Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes. I actually think 14-15 minutes was best in my oven.

Cooling cookies!

Maple syrup glaze: 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 cup maple sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla
This makes a lot more glaze then what is needed.

The finished product!!

I may not know how good they taste, but I know how good they look! The maple glaze added an extra touch of sweetness to the not so sweet peanut butter cookies.  Even though I don't eat bacon, I have to admit the smell in my kitchen today was amazing! I will report back once I hear from my taste tester how they are!

1 comment:

  1. Wow I was Impressed w. Your presentation. Interesting and fun. Connie

    ReplyDelete