Thursday, September 22, 2011

Cake Pops!

I know I am jumping on the Cake Pop bandwagon, but I can't resist! They are fun, bite sized treats, that can be made with any kind of cake and decorated however you want. My next baking investment will be either a cake pop pan (buybakepops.com) or a Babycakes Cake Pop maker. I am trying to spread the word on my baking, and a bake sale at the school I work at was exactly what I was waiting for. I made nearly 4 dozen green and yellow (go Cougars!) cake pops for the event. Of course, the day before the bake sale was cancelled! But they will not go to waste. The teachers will get to enjoy them in the staff lounge as a delicious Friday treat. 


I used the chocolate velvet cake batter from Southern Living that I have used before. You can find the directions for the cake at the Southern Living link. You can use any cake you would like, including boxed if you don't like to make cake! Cool cake completely before starting your cake pop.


To make cake pops, you will need chocolate wafers in whatever color you desire, any other toppings/decorations, and lollipop sticks (you can find these at craft store).


Crumble cake into a large bowl. Mix with icing of your choice until all cake is coated
and it is the consistency of cookie dough.
Roll cake and icing mixture into balls. Refrigerate for a few hours, or overnight. 
The colors of the school I work for are yellow and green.
Melt chocolate in bowl for dipping your cake pops.
Dip the lollipop stick in the melted chocolate.
Push lollipop stick into cake pop, but don't push the whole way through.
Dip cake pop into chocolate and cover with other decorations. 
I wrapped each cake pop in a small plastic treat bag (also can be purchased at a craft store).
Not only did I make 4 dozen Cougar pride cake pops, but I was asked to make football cake pops for a co-worker. My first client!!! Using the same cake batter and method of combining crumbled cake and icing, I shaped the balls into footballs instead. 
Assemble the cake and lollipop stick, then dip! 
Refrigerate until chocolate gets hard.
Footballs! 
I can't wait to make these again for Steelers games this season. I am excited for everyone to try these cake pops out, and hopefully I will get some more business! I am currently taking orders :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment