Tuesday, September 13, 2011

PB and J...Cupcakes that is!

One of my favorite comfort foods is a really good PB and J sandwich. Or just peanut butter in general. It is not a good idea for me to have it around. I am known to spoon it out right from the jar. My family was in town last weekend and we were having a crab cake dinner with some of the ladies. I decided to do what I do best, dessert! I needed a little comfort to go along with my wine and crab cakes, so I found a great recipe for jelly filled cupcakes. I made my own PB frosting, mainly because I did not have cream cheese for the frosting in the recipe, and I wasn't going back to the store.

You can find the recipe here!

Ingredients for cupcakes: 1 1/2 cups AP flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, room temp
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup milk
Jelly - use any that you like!

1. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.
2. Cream butter and sugar with mixer until fluffy

3. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Pour in milk and beat until smooth.
4. Gradually pour the dry ingredients in. Mix until blended.

5. Spoon batter into lined cupcake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
6. Cool completely before filling or icing.

Filling Your Cupcakes
Cut hole in top of cupcake with a knife.
I have a tool that does this for you (from Bed Bath and Beyond).
Be sure to save top that you cut off!

Fill with Jelly.

Replace top to cupcake over filling.

Frosting
1/2 cup butter
1 cup peanut butter
3 tbsp milk
2 cups confectioner sugar

Beat peanut butter and butter. Add sugar.
Add milk, 1 tbsp at a time until desired consistency.
Mix until fluffy.

Frost and decorate as you would like!
 The recipe recommends crushed peanut butter candy (snickers, butterfingers, etc).
I went simple with some chocolate sprinkles.
And enjoy with a glass of milk (or wine!)

These PB and J cupcakes were the perfect end to a delicious dinner! The cupcake is a little spongier and denser then others, but works well holding in the jelly filling. The original recipe gives an alternative filling option, so choose whichever is best for you! Filling cupcakes is easy, and a great way to change up a recipe, or make a new flavor combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment